Q: What trophies does the Group award?

The following trophies are up for grabs; results are based on BOS (Best on standard) as opposed to actual fastest. For more info on standards, read this. Times from any event can be submitted apart from where "group event" is stated.

Ethel Scothern Cup - Group BAR - 25, 50, 100 & 12 hour
Colin Bell Cup - Group Middle Distance BAR - 10, 25, 50 & 100m
Meersbrook Trophy - Group Short Distance BAR - 10, 25 & 50m
Susie Denham Cup - Ladies BAR - 10, 25 & 50m
Brian Beardsley Memorial Cup - 12 hour
Unity Cup - 100m
Sid Sharman Cup - 50m
Watson Trophy - Prestige Points Competition (Group events only**)
Ron Blythe Trophy - Group non standard distance event in March (used to be 18k)
Sheffield Central Cup - Both 25m group events combined*
Cleethorpes Shield - 10m (group event)

**We aren't running enough events for this so we will include the two group events plus your best times at the other distances (15, 25, 50, 100, 12hr) from any other open event.

Q: What is the Prestige Points competition and how do I qualify?

This competition is open to all Group members and is competed for on the following basis:

  • This competition is based on our group's events (in 2017 this is just two 10s) plus 25, 50, 100 and 12 hour times at any open events (we don't hold events at these distances in the North Midlands).
  • Points are awarded to the fastest ten North Mids riders on standard.  The first receives 10 points, the second 9, and so on, down to 10th place.
  • The Group Recorder maintains a list of points awarded - you do not have to inform him.

The winner is awarded the Watson trophy and a medal. Second and third placings also receive a medal. 

Q: How do I become a timekeeper?

Please refer to guidance notes GN07 - Timekeeping Practice on the CTT site for information on timekeeping.

Q: What are Standards?

Standards are a way of levelling out the playing field between older and younger vets. We've put together a guide to Standards for the unititiated. There is a useful application on the VTTA site which works out standards for every age and distance, which you will need for your event entry and competition claim forms.

Claims for standards must be submitted to the Group Recorder at the end of the racing season. You have to beat the plus that you used to last claim a standard.

Forms are sent out in late September.

Q: Where are the courses?

North Midlands courses (prefixed by the letter O) are listed on the CTT (North Midlands) site or in the CTT Handbook.

Q: Where do I find entry forms?

You can download entry forms from the CTT site. We suggest you save a different version for each distance so you don't have to re-write all your PBs every time. Internet entry is becoming increasingly common and also gives you the advantage of an emailed receipt.

Q: How do age records work?

The regulations for age records are on the VTTA site. The main points to remember are:

  • You must be a paid-up member of the VTTA at the time of the ride
  • You must inform the Group Recorder, Phil Morgan, of your time
  • No claim will be considered if a better time or distance has already been achieved by a record holder of a greater age

If you think you have achieved a National age record, you need to complete an Age record claim form and send it to the National Records Secretary (Geoff Perry). Any questions, check with the Records Secretary.